Chicken noodle soup, the perfect soup for the fall season. Hot soup on a cold day usually with a peanut butter sandwich. I can’t say that my taste buds have matured any since my childhood. The husband still rolls his eyes when I grab the Skippy to make a peanut butter sandwich with my soup. Dinner doesn’t get much better than soup, especially if it is homemade. Making soup from scratch always makes me think about my childhood and my grandma.
This post contains Affiliate links, click here to learn more.
My grandma is the master of homemade soup, everything from Creamy Chicken Wild Rice to Thick Loaded Baked Potato soup. There is just something about a huge bowl of soup on a crisp fall day. My grandma’s soup is more involved than anything that I have patience’s for most days. I do have a very simple Homemade Chicken Noodle soup that is simple and delicious, and hits the mark when I don’t have any of her soup hidden in the freezer.
- 1 tbls Unsalted butter
- 5 Carrots
- 1/4 cup Chopped yellow onion
- 3 Celery ribs
- 10 cups Low sodium chicken broth (or 10 cups water and 5 tsp chicken base)
- 1 lb Boneless skinless chicken breast uncooked
- 3 tsp Fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
- Melt butter in large sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Wash and chop carrots, celery and onion into bite sized pieces. Add to sauce pan and stir. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Dice chicken into small pieces. Add chicken and chicken broth to vegetable mix. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add Egg noodles and cook 10-12 minutes according to package directions.
- Add parsley and pepper.
If you are thinking about making this soup ahead of time, follow the same recipe, just leave out the noodles. Add the noodle and heat over the stove (or in a crockpot) before serving.
If you are planning on serving this via a Crock Pot make sure you have a good one. You don’t need anything overly fancy to get the job done, but I would recommend splurging on one that has the cook & carry options, meaning it has latches to secure the contents if you need to travel with it. My pick is the Crock Pot brand slow cooker, found here on Amazon for $29.99. And don’t forget the slow cooker liners, which make cock pot clean up a breeze.